/ home / newsletters /
Bitcoin Optech Newsletter #243
This week’s newsletter includes our regular sections with descriptions of changes to services and client software, plus summaries of notable changes to popular Bitcoin infrastructure software.
No significant news this week was found on the Bitcoin-Dev or Lightning-Dev mailing lists.
Changes to services and client software
In this monthly feature, we highlight interesting updates to Bitcoin wallets and services.
● Xapo Bank supports Lightning: Xapo Bank announced its customers can now send outgoing Lightning payments from the Xapo Bank mobile apps, using underlying infrastructure from Lightspark.
● TypeScript library for miniscript descriptors released: The TypeScript-based Bitcoin Descriptors Library has support for PSBTs, descriptors, and miniscript. This includes support for signing directly or when using certain hardware signing devices.
● Breez Lightning SDK announced: In a recent blog post, Breez announced the open source Breez SDK for mobile developers who want to integrate Bitcoin and Lightning payments. The SDK includes support for Greenlight, Lightning Service Provider (LSP) features, and other services.
● PSBT-based exchange OpenOrdex launches: The open source exchange software allows sellers to create an order book of Ordinal satoshis using PSBTs and buyers to sign and broadcast to complete the trade.
● BTCPay Server coinjoin plugin released: The Wasabi Wallet announcement notes that any BTCPay Server merchant can activate the optional plugin which supports the WabiSabi protocol for coinjoins.
● mempool.space explorer enhances CPFP support: The mempool.space explorer announced additional support for CPFP-related transactions.
● Sparrow v1.7.3 released: Sparrow’s v1.7.3 release includes BIP129 support for multisig wallets (see Newsletter #136) and custom block explorer support among other features.
● Stack Wallet adds coin control, BIP47: Recent releases of the Stack Wallet add coin control features and BIP47 support.
● Wasabi Wallet v2.0.3 released: Wasabi’s v2.0.3 release includes taproot coinjoin signing and taproot change outputs,opt-in manual coin control for sending, improved wallet loading speed and more.
Releases and release candidates
New releases and release candidates for popular Bitcoin infrastructure projects. Please consider upgrading to new releases or helping to test release candidates.
- ● LND v0.16.0-beta.rc3 is a release candidate for a new major version of this popular LN implementation.
Notable code and documentation changes
Notable changes this week in Bitcoin Core, Core Lightning, Eclair, LDK, LND, libsecp256k1, Hardware Wallet Interface (HWI), Rust Bitcoin, BTCPay Server, BDK, Bitcoin Improvement Proposals (BIPs), and Lightning BOLTs.
● LND #7448 adds a new rebroadcaster interface to resubmit unconfirmed transactions especially to address transactions that were evicted from mempools. When enabled, the rebroadcaster will submit unconfirmed transactions to the attached full node once per block until it is confirmed. LND was already rebroadcasting transactions in a similar fashion when operating in Neutrino-mode. As noted in a previously covered Stack Exchange Q&A, Bitcoin Core currently does not rebroadcast transactions, although it would be desirable for privacy and reliability if full node behavior were amended to rebroadcast any transactions that the node had expected to have been included in the prior block. Until then, it is the responsibility of every wallet to ensure the presence of transactions of interest in mempools.
● BDK #793 is a major restructuring of the library based on the work of the bdk_core sub-project. According to the PR description, it “maintains the existing wallet API as much as possible and adds very little.” Three API endpoints with seemingly minor changes are listed in the PR description.