Also covering Descriptors
Output script descriptors are strings that contain all the information necessary to allow a wallet or other program to track payments made to or spent from a particular script or set of related scripts (i.e. an address or a set of related addresses such as in an HD wallet).
Descriptors combine well with miniscript in allowing a wallet to handle tracking and signing for a larger variety of scripts. They also combine well with PSBTs in allowing the wallet to determine which keys it controls in a multisig script.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- Q&A about migration from legacy wallets to descriptor wallets
- C-Lightning #4171 allows retrieving the wallet’s onchain descriptors
- Field Report: Using descriptors at River Financial
- Bitcoin Core #16528 adds support for native output descriptor wallets
- Bitcoin Core #18032 add
descriptorfield to multisig address RPCs
- Encoded descriptors (e.g., with base64)