Also covering Descriptors
Output script descriptors are strings that contain all the information necessary to allow a wallet or other program to track payments made to or spent from a particular script or set of related scripts (i.e. an address or a set of related addresses such as in an HD wallet).
Descriptors combine well with miniscript in allowing a wallet to handle tracking and signing for a larger variety of scripts. They also combine well with PSBTs in allowing the wallet to determine which keys it controls in a multisig script.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- 2020-05-06 Bitcoin Core #16528 adds support for native output descriptor wallets
- 2020-02-12 Bitcoin Core #18032 add
descriptorfield to multisig address RPCs
- 2020-01-08 Encoded descriptors (e.g., with base64)
- 2019-10-16 Descriptors extended with sortedmulti
- 2019-02-19 Descriptor checksum support added
- 2018-10-30 Key origin support
- 2018-07-24 First use of descriptors in Bitcoin Core