Timelocks are encumbrances that prevent a transaction or the spend of an output from being confirmed prior to a maturity time or block height.
This topic description is a stub. We would welcome a pull request providing more background information about the topic.
Primary code and documentation
OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFYfor absolute timelocks in scripts
- BIP68 relative timelocks using consensus-enforced sequence numbers
OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFYfor relative timelocks in scripts
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- BOLTs #803 updates BOLT5 with recommendations for handling timelocks near maturity
- Research into conflicts between timelocks and heightlocks
- One-block relative timelocks to prevent pinning issues in coinswaps
- New cross-chain coinswap construction that only requires timelocks on one chain
- Using decrementing locktimes instead of eltoo for statechains
- Fidelity bonds based on long-term timelocks
- Lightning Loop announce, using submarine swaps with onchain timelocks
- Transaction pinning as a major challenge for protocols involving timelocks
- For BIP322 generic signed messages, unclear how to support timelocks