Also covering Gitian and Guix
Reproducible builds are software that was compiled deterministically, making it possible for multiple people to compile the same source code into identical binaries.
This means no one person or computer needs to be trusted to produce the executable binaries that most people use. Additionally, people who compile the software themselves can ensure that they received an executable that’s identical to what other people received, helping to ensure their software will remain compatible with other software, e.g. a full node staying in consensus with the rest of the network.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- Bitcoin Core #17595 adds Guix support for Windows builds
- Eclair #1307 updates packaging to also reproducibly build Eclair GUI
- Eclair #1295 allows the eclair-core module to be reproducibly built
- 2019 year-in-review: reproducible builds
- Merged PR for reproducible build of Bitcoin Core using GNU Guix
- Breaking Bitcoin summaries: Bitcoin build system security
- New reproducibly-build architecture and Snap packages for Bitcoin Core
- Notable Bitcoin Core PRs: reproducible builds using GNU Guix