Hardware Wallet Interface (HWI) is a Python library and command-line tool used to interface with hardware wallets using Partially-Signed Bitcoin Transactions (PSBTs) and output script descriptors.
Designed primary by Bitcoin Core developers to allow that software to use hardware wallets as external signers, HWI is now being used by other wallets as well.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- Bitcoin Core GUI #4 adds initial support for using HWI external signers via the GUI
- Significantly updated and extended HWI documentation
- Bitcoin Core #16546 adds external signer interface compatible with HWI
- HWI #363 adds support for Bitbox02 hardware wallet
- Initial release of Lily Wallet supports HWI
- Fix for segwit fee overpayment attack affects HWI compatibility
- BTCPay Vault using HWI for signing
- 2019 year-in-review: HWI
- CoreDev.tech discussions: HWI integration into Bitcoin Core
- Bitcoin Core 0.18 with basic hardware signer support
- Bitcoin Core preliminary hardware wallet support