Stateless invoices are LN invoices whose payment preimage is generated deterministically from payment metadata. This allows the receiver of a payment to avoid storing any data about the invoice until the spender submits a copy of the metadata along with the payment.
This topic description is a stub. We would welcome a pull request providing more background information about the topic.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- 2022 year-in-review: stateless invoices
- LND #5810 implements sending support for payment metadata
- Core Lightning #5068 adds payer-side support for stateless invoices
- LDK #1199 uses stateless invoices to allow phantom node payments
- Eclair #2063 adds support for the new option_payment_metadata invoice field
- BOLTs #912 adds a new optional field to BOLT11 invoices to enable stateless payments
- Rust-Lightning #1177 implements stateless payments using the payment secret field
Statechains Next Topic:
Static channel backups