Onion messages are messages that can be sent across the LN network by nodes that support the protocol. Messages don’t use HTLCs, minimizing the use of LN node resources.
This topic description is a stub. We would welcome a pull request providing more background information about the topic.
Primary code and documentation
Optech newsletter and website mentions
- Proposal to charge for onion message bandwidth
- Eclair #2133 begins relaying onion messages by default
- Eclair #2117 adds onion message replies in preparation for supporting offers
- Eclair #2099 adds onion message configuration option for controling when to relay messages
- 2021 year-in-review: onion messages
- Eclair #2061 adds initial support for onion messages
- C-Lightning #4921 updates the implementation of onion messages
- Eclair #1957 adds basic support for onion messages
- C-Lightning #3600 adds experimental support for onion messages using blinded paths